Monday 12 August 2013

A bit of background...

Hi, my name's Justine and I'm a happily married mum of four.

If you're reading this, then you're probably on a similar journey to mine. We want to be teachers, right? It starts differently for all of us, though. I'm a mature student, and it wasn't until I went in as a parent helper at my son's school that I realised I wanted to teach. It wasn't that easy for me because I did not have the relevant GCSEs nor did I have A-Levels and - I'm sure you've guessed already - no undergraduate degree!

This is what started me on this long long lonnnnng journey five years ago. I retook my GCSEs and completed a part time Access Course. I'm now about to start my third and final year of an undergraduate degree in English Language and Literature.

I enjoyed the primary school experience that I got at my son's school, but I wanted to try secondary as well. So that's what I've been doing while studying - volunteering in five different schools. I've been in two primaries and three secondaries and have definitely decided that primary education is where I want to be.

And so, after five years and with another year to go (plus a year on top of that for training!) I am finally getting closer to my dream of being a teacher. There's so much to think about and so much to do, but in my next post I'll talk about volunteer experience in schools and what to expect.

See you soon,


No comments:

Post a Comment